Enjoy!!!

Enjoy!!!

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Luang Prabang market

Luang Prabang is a tourist town in Laos. There is a night market which sells lots of tourist items. The day market is held in different streets and is an interesting mix of fruit and vegetables, meat, fish and other dry and wet products.

In Laos people eat all animals. On our caving trips we often saw locals out hunting, with nets and baskets looking for anything that moved. They also go into caves to catch bats. And we often saw bird traps and sticky strings hanging from trees to catch birds. Consequently we saw very few live birds and virtually no other animals at all.

These photos were taken in the morning, and in January, which is why everyone is wearing coats.

On my 2008 visit I saw no bush meat in the market. I don't know the reason, but I wondered if the supply had been exhausted.
temple decorations? -
fish probably from Mekong, and some large fish -
squirrels, racer snake, buffalo (above), bamboo rat (below)
Colourful veg , rice -
buffalo parts
fresh sausages
bats
mammal,bird, chilli and sauce; birds (below)
bats and seafood; frogs (below)
racer snake minus the head
"Doughnuts"
birds, squirrel, bats -
fruit bat
nice display -
making a sale
cooking
hill tribe lady
birds, squirrel -


See more on bush meat. And the tourist night market, and Luang Prabang street scenes and temples and Phou Si hill and Mekong scenes.

© Liz Price
No reproduction without permission

8 comments:

  1. why laos peoples like to eat such things....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vampire bats don't exist in Asia, only S.America !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know - because they are free?
    In neighbouring Cambodia people don't eat bats. I don't know why. Both are Buddhist countries, so it can't be religion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you taken this before ? I did, cooked dry curry, wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can make a taxidermy out of this if you pass one to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No never tried, it, Never had the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't presume you can bring 4 frozen ones for me to cook, do you ? I have no way to get them now-a-days.

    ReplyDelete